Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Saturday, 9 February - 8:00 AM

Just two days left. I can't believe we've been here for a month. I'm definitely ready to go home, though. It's funny. All along, people have been saying that once I got to Goa, I wouldn't wanna leave. And for as beautiful as it is, it's just a little too Western for me. If anything, it's been a great transition place. If we had left directly from the district conference, I think it would have broken my heart.

Yesterday was good. We stopped at Audhut's office and I was able to check my email before meeting up with the rest of the group around 10:00 AM. Our first stop was to this place nicknamed "Bigfoot" - a replica of an ancestral Goan village. It kind of reminded me of one of those museum witch tours in Salem, MA. Interesting, but a little too hokey.


Fake villagers.


Real Goan host (he rocked!)


Traveling in style.


Applying for a job.

At the end of the tour, you can pay five rupees to buy some incense, say a prayer and make a wish while touching the big footprint...


Misty lights her incense.


Bigfootprint.

... my wish was that I could live my life with an Indian perspective when I return home. That I not forget all I have learned while on this trip.

After Bigfoot, we stopped at a little chain café called Canapé. It was the first chain restaurant we'd been in all month. I ordered a small vegetable pizza. It did not disappoint.



Our hosts then dropped us off at this amazing resort called Nanu - right on the beach. It was, of course, owned by a Rotarian.


"Toto, we're no longer in Bijapur."

We spent four hours there, free to use the pool or the beach. I walked up and down Betalbatim beach, collecting shells and wading in the Indian ocean. Perfect.









We made a good presentation at the evening Rotary meeting and they had a fun dinner at their hall. They even hired a DJ! As I recall from the district conference, the Goans really like to party. I ducked out a little early with my host's wife and daughters. When we got home, the eldest daughter did some awesome Mehendi on my other hand. I hope this one lasts until I get home.



Today we're leaving for our final destination in Goa: Vasco.

1 comment:

L*I*S*A said...

That is some very cool henna displayed on your hand. :)