Monday, March 24, 2008

Thursday, 7 February - 7:30 PM

Today was good. We left Mapusa around 10:00 AM and headed off to a town called Bicholim. We visited a Rotary school for like five seconds...



... a church with a cool fresco ceiling...



... and then stopped at an artist colony where we went to two different pottery places. I found an awesome, handmade Ganesha wall mount.





After the pottery stops, we drove out to a huge farm that grows produce and plants for pharmaceutical supplies. We toured the farm and then hung out, played drums and ate food.




"... I just wanna bang on the drum all day"



Misty finally rejoined us after three days in the hospital. She looks great and it's good to have her back. I'm just sorry she missed Mapusa and the elephants.

It was tough saying goodbye to Alpana, Sujit and the rest of my Mapusa hosts. They were really awesome. Little Anuj gave me a rose, and Sujit laughed and said that "My son will have no problems with the ladies when he grows up!"

After Bicholim, we made our way to Margao and met our current hosts for tea at a hotel. We also met up with Radhika (our original Mumbai host and GSE coordinator). My current hosts seem very nice. They have a huge, modern house and two daughters, ages 11 and 15.

I think we are gradually being eased back into our own culture by visiting Goa last. I just came up to find my first shower curtain! Once again, I realize how much I take for granted back home.


Hallelujah!

Things in Goa seem so Westernized. I think back to places like Dharwad and Ilkal - all the women and kids wearing Indian clothes. Here they're wearing jeans! They have A/C and normal toilets and showers. On the way back to the house, my host said that even he experiences a little culture shock when he has to do business outside of Goa.

I guess it's pretty much like me calling certain areas of New Jersey "the sticks." I've never been to any really remote areas of the U.S. I think I ought to make that my next priority: seeing more of my own country and not just the pretty parts.

Hey, you know what I haven't seen in India? Wall-to-wall carpeting. One more thing to stop taking for granted.

No comments: