Friday, April 4, 2008

Sunday 10, February - 2:30 PM

Man did I sleep AWESOME last night! This mattress is fantastic. Add that to the list of things to never take for granted. The list which grows longer by the minute. It's been a very mellow day today. I had a nice breakfast with my hosts and around 10:00 AM, went over to one of the polio booths.





I've learned that Rotary International is responsible for eradicating polio in India. They have done so by collecting funds worldwide and setting up several Sundays a year where children under the age of 6 are vaccinated for free. It's absolutely amazing.





I'm really looking forward to becoming a Rotarian when I return home. It's just such an amazing organization and I have really seen, firsthand, the good that they do in the world. I want to do good things in my life. I want to take more trips like this one, and to get to know people all over the world.

When I wasn't vaccinating children, I was sitting and talking with a girl named Kavita. She is the daughter of one of the Vasco Rotarians, and is planning to come to the U.S. to do her graduate work. She's trying to decide between schools in Buffalo, NY and in Arizona. A no-brainer, in my biased opinion!

After the polio booth, my host's son and daughter came and picked me and Misty up. They took us sight-seeing around the harbor.




Charuta, Parag and Arrov.

I've just come back and had some lunch. I got some huge mosquito bites in Margao on my arm and they're driving me nuts! I took an allergy pill and am now feeling a wee bit drowsy.

I'm getting more and more eager to get home. I think this trip has somehow made me a little less self-involved. I think getting involved with Rotary and other charity organizations will be good. I think being a little less concerned with me will make me feel a whole lot better about my life.

Around 3:30, I am set to go check out a beach with Misty and some hosts. Tonight is our big send-off and then tomorrow we fly back to Mumbai. Not sure how we'll spend our 12-hour layover there. See a movie? Do some shopping? I dunno. I guess we'll take it as it comes.

No comments: